Apprentice Chorus (AC)
Approximate Ages 7 - 9
The Apprentice Chorus rehearses once a week on Tuesdays from 5:00 – 6:10 pm. This Chorus provides the children with vocal, drama, solfege, and theory training in preparation for advancement to Intermediate Chorus. Dramatic training is also provided with a drama coach.
Curriculum at the Apprentice Chorus level:
- Teach rudiments of music notation through class instruction and occasional homework exercises
- Develop the ability to follow and learn from notated music
- Develop ringing tone and good basic vocal technique
- Continue work on responding to pitch and rhythm through response exercises
- Discover part singing through use of simple canons, rounds and through singing with older divisions of the CCOC
- Provide knowledge of basic drama techniques
- Develop good singing posture
- Provide the opportunity to develop and perform a short staged production with choral singing and dialogue
- Provide positive performance experiences both as an autonomous group and alongside other divisions of the CCOC
Every two weeks students receive 140 minutes of instruction, generally comprised of:
- a 60 minute large group instruction (full chorus)
- a 35 minute smaller group work (half chorus)
- a 35 minute drama instruction (half chorus)
- a 10 minute class music theory instruction
Rehearsal time: 70 minutes weekly
The Apprentice Chorus participates each season in a winter and spring concert, and in the junior division staged opera. They also appear in the fully staged annual opera production. During the season they will have other performance opportunities.
A one-day team-building music and drama camp is held in September, and is mandatory for all members.