Youth Chorus (YC)
Girls Grade 10+ and Boys with Changed Voices
The Youth Chorus is comprised of girls in Grade 10 or older and boys with changed voices.
Choral repertoire is drawn from opera, oratorio, and musical theater as well as solo/ensemble selections from opera and musical theater. Rehearsals will be used primarily to polish and stage pieces of assigned music. Independent learning is highly encouraged.
Curriculum at the Youth Chorus level:
- Emphasizes advanced vocal and dramatic work
- Continues to build skills at an adult level of performance
- Prepares high school students for university entrance
Every week students receive 2 hours of instruction:
- 1 hour full chorus and 1 hour sectional
- Or 2 hours of staging during preparation for the spring excerpt production
- 1 hour or dedicated drama instruction every second week
Rehearsal Time: 2 hours weekly. During the annual mainstage opera production, individual choristers may have up to 10 hours per week of rehearsals depending on casting
The Youth Chorus participates each season in a winter and spring concert, in the fully staged annual spring opera production (as a group and/or in auditioned solo roles). During the season they will perform in numerous other performance and recording opportunities. The program culminates each year with a staged opera presentation.