To foster the love of opera in young people through a disciplined and rigorous artistic practice, by providing training and enriching performance experiences, and by being a leader in the creation and development of diverse Canadian children’s operatic repertoire.
- To provide a unique and comprehensive musical and drama education to young people that will cultivate formative life skills of confidence, community, collaboration and empathy in the interest of fostering a lifelong enjoyment of the arts in children and youth.
- To produce and participate in professional-level operas and choral concerts.
- To represent the diversity of the community in our choruses, our repertoire, and organization in the interest of fostering an inclusive and supportive culture in our learning and performance environments.
- To commission operatic and choral repertoire for children and youth by leading Canadian and international artists.
- To introduce young audiences to storytelling through opera, and general audiences to the unique art form of children’s opera.
- To build a community support and sustained growth through exemplary governance, management, volunteer and staff development, and innovative partnerships.
The CCOC is committed to being a world-class ensemble company rooted in these core values:
- Team work and the process of working collectively and collaboratively.
- A barrier free, accessible program for young artists, regardless of their socio-economic background, race, gender identity, sexual orientation, learning or physical abilities.
- Transformative environment to enhance, advance, and nurture individual creative growth.
- The advancement of opera and storytelling, using a combination of all the arts, regardless of musical style, culture, or period.
- The creation of new works and productions, from and for children’s voices, that are of social importance and modern relevance.